CREDIT: Getty Images
Successful people are not necessarily gifted, they just have this one skill and succeed on purpose.
What’s the first essential skill you think of when you think of successful people?
Some would answer that it’s technical skills.
Others might say great communication, or being a visionary.
These skills are important, but there’s one trait successful people share that, more than any other, sets them apart from the rest.
It’s a skill I’ve witnessed often in coaching entrepreneurs and leaders. And, simply put, it’s this:
They are able to let go of mistakes and learn from their failures.
That may not seem like a big deal, but for many people the idea of staying safe and never failing, and an inability to let go of the past, keep them stuck in place for years like a deer in the headlights.
Learning from mistakes is huge, and it’s a skill you can learn. Here are some of the ways that highly successful people let go and learn:
1. They try harder. Successful people don’t let wounded pride hold them back. They don’t give up but keep trying until they get it right. Life doesn’t require that we be the best, just that we try our best.
2. They get back up, as many times as it takes. Everybody gets knocked down once in a while, but successful people know it’s failing to get back up that’s truly damaging. As the old saying goes: fall seven times, stand up eight.
3. They are constantly experimenting. What happened yesterday is done. Today is a new day and a new chance to try out new ideas. Successful don’t let past failures keep them from the experimentation that they learn from–even if they know it might mean more failure.
4. They give themselves a break. Sometimes we let failure turn us into our own harshest critic, talking to ourselves in ways we’d never accept from anyone else. Recognize this as a protective mind trick to keep you playing small. Instead, follow the lead of successful people: Be gentle with yourself and move on.
5. They stay focused on the future. Successful people know that the way to have a great future is to create it, one step at a time. They don’t fret about what they’ve messed up or lost–they give their energy to the things they want to gain. They know the future comes only one day at time, so they keep putting one foot in front of the other.
6. They believe in themselves. If you believe in yourself, anything is possible. It really is that simple. Most of us forget this fact (or don’t believe it to begin with), but successful people know that believing in themselves makes them unstoppable.
7. They never stop learning. Some people may think they know it all, but the most successful people are constant learners, humble about how much they don’t know and always curious to discover something new. They know that learning isn’t cumulative but a never-ending process.
8. They know that every problem has a solution. Most of us are easily overwhelmed by problems; we avoid even thinking about them because we get bogged down. Successful people view problems as opportunities to find a new solution. Keep your focus on the answer, not the problem.
9. They give themselves permission to succeed. They don’t wait for anyone else to allow them to live the life they want or step into who they’re meant to be. They play big and bold, take risks, and don’t worry about whether others approve.
10. They release their fear. It’s not that successful people are fearless; they feel fear and take chances anyway. Risk and danger are real, but fear is a choice. Sometimes have to do the thing that scares us the most to achieve something extraordinary.
Treat fear and failure like the temporary limits they are, let go of the past, and go live your own successful life. [Inc]