Professionals need a great portal to showcase their talent. They need a website that doesn’t just provide information but also represents their brand well. However, if you need a professional and polished website, you need to plan well.
It is easy for a site with a generic design to get lost in the crowd. If there’s nothing that stands out and compels visitors, you won’t get the conversions you deserve.
This article provides a few points that will help you create the best professional platform possible.
- Simplicity and Minimalism
Most modern internet users prefer a minimalist design. This style has become very popular in recent years in all elements of design, including web design.
It can be tempting to cram many distracting elements to your website, but they can do more harm than good. The clutter can be distracting and draw audience attention away from what is truly important.
A cluttered website also provides a poor user experience. Users find it difficult to understand the content. Most users will instinctively click away from such websites and look at competitors.
Creating a minimalist website isn’t as easy as it seems. You need to make sure the site has some substance and intrigue to it. It is important to strike a good balance between too much and too little. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- Make sure every element is useful in some way.
- Create a list of priorities with what you absolutely need on your website.
- Make sure you understand the purpose of your website well.
- Make sure your website has a clear structure that users can easily follow.
Minimalism can be applied to all kinds of websites, even enterprise level platforms with thousands of pages. If the page design is minimalist and well-structured, your website will look professional.
- Responsiveness is Essential
When you design a website, it is important to keep two things in mind: mobile platform and Internet of Things. Most users won’t be visiting your website from a traditional computer or tablet screen. They will use mobile phones, smart TVs, and even smartwatches.
This world is going to keep expanding, which is why it is important to create a responsive website.
A responsive website responds to its environment. It will adapt to a small mobile screen or a large monitor. The key is to balance the visual appeal of your website along with its functionality. For example, if your website looks beautiful on the mobile phone but if the menu isn’t accessible, people will leave.
The key component to the success of any website design is its user-friendliness. A responsive website delivers a great user experience and looks professional on all platforms at the same time.
- Design Hierarchy Is Important
People on the internet have short attention spans and even shorter limits on their patience. That’s why it is important to present information to them in a structured format. A proper design hierarchy ensures the information is organized according to your requirements.
People’s eyes are drawn to the most important content if the hierarchy is planned well. There are many elements to this aspect of design and they include:
- Placement on the web page
- Page scanning patterns (F pattern and Z pattern)
- Space and texture
- Typeface and font
- Color transparency and opaqueness
When you have a good hierarchy in your website, your users have an easier time digesting all the information. It also gives the website some structure and order, which gives it a much more professional appearance.
- Content Readability
Image Source – peakpx.com
Content is the soul of every website. It should be well-written and readable on all platforms. Most people online skim through the content and only focus on gaining the gist of it. They look at highlighted words, titles, subtitles, etc. to understand the content.
They’ll only read the full content if they’re completely invested in the information. In fact, people only read 50% to 60% of the website content.
You need to make reading easier and more attractive to them through interesting and readable content. This is easy to do, just follow the steps mentioned here:
- Using proper content structure with H1, H2, and H3 headlines, titles, bullet points, and small paragraphs.
- Make sure there’s enough contrast between your content text and the website background. If the background is too light and the text on it is light as well, people will have a difficult time reading it.
- Make sure the text is of appropriate size. Some small fonts of 12 points or less are very difficult to read. That’s why it is important to make sure your font size is above 16 points. Keep in might that some fonts are smaller than others.
- Choosing between Serif and Sans Serif fonts. Serif fonts have little ticks and extensions at the tip of letters. In comparison, Sans Serif fonts don’t have them. The distinction can have an impact on user experience. Most designers prefer Sans Serif fonts for online content.
It is a good idea to maintain consistency when it comes down to font style. If you cram too many different kinds of fonts onto a page, the experience will be disruptive.
- Easy and Predictable Navigation
It is fun to experiment with design and surprising your clients with something new. But it is never a good idea to change the navigation and structure of the site. Users need some form of familiarity when it comes to website navigation. They know they can find company information at the bottom of the page, the navigation menus by the logo, etc.
Easy navigation will also help your website rank higher on search engine results pages. Things like linking the logo and homepage, providing a contact us form, adding breadcrumb navigation, and other such touches will improve the user experience.
A website isn’t just a portal for your prospective customers. It is also a platform for all of the modern digital marketing strategies. That’s why it is important to plan and execute the design well. A poor foundation will compromise the results of your marketing strategies, which will be a waste of money.
Your first and most important investment when you’re establishing yourself online is a professional website.
Justin Kemp is working as a Jr. content writer and blogger with Ethane Technologies. He can be seen blogging about digital marketing, web design, SEO, SMO, PPC, etc.