Marissa Mayer delivers the commencement address at the Illinois Institute of Technology on May 16, 2009.
At the time she delivered this speech, Marissa Mayer was an executive and spokesperson at Google. She is currently the CEO of Yahoo, where she has been since 2012. Her address offers personal stories, and both insightful and practical advice about topics ranging from the importance of asking the right questions, to surrounding yourself with the right people, to finding the courage to do things that are uncomfortable, and the power in sharing information. A few things she recommends that I think anyone in business can stand to be reminded of:
- “Find the smartest people you can and surround yourself with them.”
- “Find allies rather than adorers.”
- “Find the courage to do things you’re not ready to do.”
- “Find places where you’re comfortable … By being comfortable in your environment, you’re freed of your insecurities and the things that hold you back, but don’t need to.”
- “Power comes through sharing information. Tell everyone everything. The more valuable the better.”