Anil Gupta, author of Immediate Happiness, has come up with a formula that he says could make you happier, and at the same time help you to fulfil your potential in life…
We were taught many formulas whilst at school, but we were never really taught the most important one, the happiness formula. In 2008, I reached the lowest point in my life and I managed to find a way out in a very rapid and powerful manner. This journey allowed me to discover the Happiness Formula which has had a profound effect on my life, which I wanted to share with the world so that everyone could benefit.
H = G3 → Give x Gratitude x Grow
Our happiness is dependent on how much we give, how grateful we are and how much we are growing. Once we are aware of the formula we can work on the different components which will have a huge and immediate impact on our life and those that are close to us. Most people believe knowledge is power, but actually knowledge is not power unless you implement.
The first part of the formula is Give. We need to give our time, energy, love, compassion, generosity, kindness, joy, money etc. away, without wanting anything in return. That is the definition of a gift. The secret to living is giving, the more you give – the more you get. It has to be authentic – with no attachments. Simple!
Here is an exercise that you can perform to increase your happiness levels:
1. Perform five random acts of kindness in the next two days
- Notice how it makes you feel
- Make sure you don’t wish for anything in return – it must be a random act
Examples: Open the door, buy a coffee or smoothie, pick up litter from the floor, give thanks to someone, compliment someone.
2. Call someone who has had an impact on your life
- Thank and appreciate them
- Tell them what they mean to you
- Tell them how they made you feel
Examples: mother, father, friend, brother, sister, teacher, mentor/coach
The second part of the formula is Gratitude. It is important to focus on what you have and not focus on what you don’t have. We often overlook so many things that we take for granted. The more gratitude you have, the happier you will be. When you are in a state of gratitude you will find all negative emotions will disappear.
Here is an example that you can perform to increase your levels of gratitude
1. Have a look at your hands
- Ask yourself: When was the last time you thanked them?
- What have they done for you?
- Imagine not having them.
- Thank your hands and tell them why you are thankful to them
- How did that make you feel?
2. Write down 50 things that you are grateful for
- This may sound like a lot, but its building a muscle and gets easier with practice.
Examples: The weather, the water you drink, the clothes you wear, the country you live in, the oxygen you breathe, your family and friends.
The third part of the formula is Growth: Emotional, Physical, Spiritual and Mental.
Here are some exercises that you can perform to grow. Be totally honest with yourself for the best results.
- Write down the emotions that come up during the day. Analyse which is a common emotion and work on eliminating the negative ones and increasing the positive ones
- Read at least 20 minutes a day
- Exercise daily
- Eat healthily
- Keep hydrated
- Take 10 deep breaths twice a day
- Do things that you love to do
- Focus on the present
- Smile/laugh more
- Let go of the past
- Be more playful and energetic
- Call a friend that you have not spoken to in a while
- Daydream for 10 minutes
- Visualise some happy moments that you have experienced
- Take a few extra minutes to relax
- Let go of regrets
To increase your happines, identify and become aware of the lowest “G” (giving, gratitude, or growth) and take steps to increase that area. Awareness brings clarity, clarity brings focus, focus brings action, actions bring results which leads to a much happier and fulfilled life.
I wish you a happier life filled with much giving, gratitude and growth.