The most common fantasy everyone has is to have a pet at home. Having a pet is very good because if they are nourished with love and affection like our own children, they prove to be our best companion.
Like our infant children, even they cannot talk to express their feelings. But it takes a lot of patience to understand the attitude of the pet and act accordingly. Pets like dog, parrots, rabbit, etc. are quite common. But raising a horse is something different. You should be aware of what type of food it requires and how to take care of it.
Maintaining a horse
Horse maintenance in simple words is taking good care of the horse. Following are some of the tips to help in taking care of a horse.
- The arrangement of food: Horse is known to be “trickle feeder” which means it is found eating throughout the day. So to keep the health healthy you need to arrange the sufficient forage for it. Always check whether the forage you are providing is giving enough energy to the horse. If not you may have to feed it with some additional supplements. This has to be done on the advice of a veterinarian.
- Water: Water is the best hydration source for all being in this world and horse is no exception. A horse drinks 5-10 gallons of water every day. So, you must ensure that the water you are giving to the horse is fresh and clean.
- Regular health checkup: If you are an animal lover and want your pet to be healthy always ensure that you take the horse for a regular checkup. This will help you in detecting any sort of illness and take necessary actions immediately.
Common diseases among horses
- Arthritis: Arthritis is a disease which has mainly affected the joints of the body. Whether it is in human beings or horses, the effect is the same. When arthritis comes, the joint tissues get inflamed, and the joint cartridge gets a damaged or worn out. As it is very painful, it is very hard to do any sort of movement at that time. Some of the symptoms of this disease are stiffness, the lameness of heat in the joints or swelling in the joints area. The solution to this problem is to approach a good veterinarian and take their valuable suggestions to heal the problem of your horse. Normally by warming up or cooling down exercises to your horse, you can mobilize it. Have a thorough check on your horse’s weight as any increase in weight will put stress on the joints and will result in pain. For more information, visit TVG.
- Colic pain: When a horse suffers from pain in the abdomen it is known as colic pain. Normally when this pain occurs, the pain may range from mild pain to twist in the intestine which may require life-saving surgery. Experts state that colic pain is the most common disease a horse gets.
Proper care with lots and lots of patience will always cure your horse.